Access to GP Health Records
Accessing your personal health information online
We know that many people want to be able to access their health records. It can help you see test results faster. It also lets you read and review notes from your appointments in your own time.
According to NHS England, by October 2023, more than 12.3 million patients with online accounts (42%) now benefit from having full online access to new health record entries. From November 2023, all patients in our network who are over 16 and have an online account, such as through the NHS App or SystmOnline, will be able to view notes and health records from their doctor (GP). For people who already have access to information added to their GP record before this date, this won’t change. But access will now be automatic for those who haven’t, and you won’t need to do anything.
Here are some key points to remember about Access to GP Health Records:
- You can see notes from your appointments, test results, and any letters saved to your records. But please note that this only applies to records from your doctor (GP), not from hospitals or other specialists.
- Your doctor (GP) may want to speak with you to discuss test results before you can see some of your information on the app.
- Your doctor (GP) may also talk to you before your full records access is given to ensure that having access benefits you.
- Your record might contain sensitive information, so you should talk to your doctor if you have any concerns.
- These changes only apply to people with online accounts. If you do not want an online account, you can still access your health records by requesting this information through your surgery’s Reception or Patient Services Team.
- The changes also only apply to personal information about you. If you are a carer and want to see information about someone you care for, speak to your surgery’s Reception or Patient Services Team.
- Please speak to your surgery’s Reception or Patient Services Team if you do not want your record to be available online.
The NHS App, NHS website and other online services such as SystmOnline are all very secure, so no one can access your information except you. However, you’ll need to make sure you protect your login details. Please don’t share your password with anyone, as this will enable them to gain access to your personal information.
And if you need help registering for online GP services, please don’t hesitate to contact your GP surgery Reception or Patient Services team, and they will put you in touch with our Digital Care Co-ordinator.
For more information about how to access your health records, visit the NHS website by following this link>>
SCROLL DOWN TO VIEW A VIDEO FROM THE NHS ON ACCESSING YOUR GP HEALTH RECORD